Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Drunken Sweet Potatoes

Over the years I have had people asking for this recipe, I thought this might be the time to share it. Patty, if you see this, I hope you get the chance to make it!


Drunken Sweet Potatoes

5 pounds sweet potatoes
½ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
¼ cup Irish cream liqueur, orange liqueur, praline liqueur or milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice-I add a little extra cinnamon too
½ teaspoon salt

Wash, peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Either steam them in a steamer basket or in steamer microwave bags (you can bake them, but it adds an hour and a half to the cooking time and not much flavor). Mash by hand or beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in liqueur or milk, the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Beat until fluffy. Spread mixture in a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.

Meanwhile, cook and stir pecans, granulated sugar, and the 1-tablespoon margarine or butter in a small heavy skillet over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar melts and turns golden brown. (Don’t overcook) Remove from heat and spread nut mixture on a greased baking sheet or foil; separate into clusters. Cool completely and chop into small pieces with a knife; set aside.

Just before baking, sprinkle with candied pecans. Bake uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through

4 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

I bet those are amazing. Too bad we don't like sweet potatoes.

Carrie Penny said...

They are very tasty. It would be good with butternut or acorn squash too I am sure!

Elle said...

I've missed you!!!!!!! I hope all is well with you and I have to say your sweet potatoes sound delicious. I may have to try at Christmas time.
Glad to see you posting again.
What's on the needles?

Saren Johnson said...

He doesn't do squash. Pumpkin pie? Nope.